Man shot in the back, killed by Columbus Police

Updated: Saturday, June 7, 2008 01:21 AM

One man died last night after being shot by police on the Near East Side.

The shooting occurred shortly before 11 p.m., and the dead man's name wasn't being released early this morning. The shooting occurred in the area of Mount Vernon Avenue and N. 17th Street.

A call from a paramedic to Grant Medical Center that could be heard on Fire Division radios said the man was shot in the upper back or back of the neck. The paramedic said the man was unresponsive and had no vital signs.

He was pronounced dead at Grant a short time later.

Columbus police Sgt. Dana Norman confirmed late last night that the man was shot by police, but Norman wouldn't give further information.

Police Division spokeswoman Amanda Ford said the shooting involved four officers and a sergeant who were working as part of the summer safety initiative.

She said they saw a drug transaction in a car with four men inside and, when they attempted to get them out, all four fled.

Ford said that two men were caught immediately, one escaped and one was shot. She said three guns were recovered from the suspects.

Sgt. Jim Gilbert, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Capital City Lodge No. 9, said, “A suspect turned on one of our officers” with a gun.

Several witnesses said they saw the man shot in the back after getting out of a car that had an out-of-state plate.

The witnesses said he was in a car with the other men, parked at the Mount Vernon Plaza Town Homes. They said the men appeared to be smoking marijuana, and police came to the car and told them to step out.

Brian Harris, 18, said he at first heard arguing, then two shots.

“He said, ‘“Don't shoot! Don't shoot!' I saw him fall. He didn't fall, he flew.”

Other witnesses also said they heard two gunshots.

The other men in the car weren't injured.

Ford refused to give the name of the police officer involved or the name of the man who was shot.



Comment viewing options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Residents March In Protest

Residents March In Protest Of Fatal Officer-Involved Shooting

Monday, Jun 09, 2008 - 05:20 PM Updated: 11:52 PM
By Jason Mays

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Columbus police are continuing to investigate an officer-involved fatal shooting that occurred over the weekend.

Investigators said that on Friday night, they witnessed a drug deal in the parking lot of the Mount Vernon Plaza townhomes, NBC 4's Patrick Preston reported.

The officers approached the suspects and after a brief confrontation with 31-year-old Edward Hayes. Officers said Hayes showed them his gun and that's when officers fired, killing him.

But some members of the community said officers used unnecessary force.

Residents in the neighborhood marched to Columbus City Hall in protest of the shooting that they said was unjustified.

Hayes' family arrived in town from New Orleans on Friday to identify the body, and take part in the protest. The protest began peacefully outside City Hall. As it moved inside the tone changed.

Police arrested Erika Connor and charged her with a felony assault. They say she threw water on an officer in the City Hall entrance.

The mother of Hayes' tells NBC 4's David Wayne, "I'm kind of upset because I feel guilty because I feel a lot of what happened in there was my fault because the lady threw the cup because I think she felt my pain when she saw me upset.


Allegations of police brutality, racial profiling and now what they see as a needless shooting death have led to calls that the Columbus Division of Police change the way it does business.

"I saw the brother running, police behind him, I shouted, 'Do not shoot him!' I said it loud enough for the police to hear that, because I was hoping they wouldn't shoot me over here and within two seconds, he was shot in the back twice," said Phil Locke, an area resident.

Protestors said they want to see the evidence that shows that Hayes had a gun and was a threat to the officers.

Police have yet to confirm where Hayes was shot.


Officer of nine years named in fatal shooting

Monday, June 9, 2008 12:15 PM
By Theodore Decker and Robert Vitale

The family of a Louisiana man killed by a Columbus police officer Friday night acknowledges that he was carrying a gun but says he shouldn't have been shot.

Relatives of Edward Hayes, 31, including a brother and cousin who were with him when police first confronted them, say he was running away from officers and never intended to use the gun he had tucked in his waistband.

“He was saying, ‘Don't shoot! Don't shoot! I got a gun but don't shoot!'” said his younger brother, Dwayne Hayes. “He was trying not to get killed,” said grandmother Cecelia Callender.

She and other relatives who traveled to Columbus from Louisiana after hearing of the shooting gathered today at a relative's home on the West Side.

Edward Hayes had his hand on the gun as he ran, Dwayne Hayes said, but he said he never saw his brother take out the weapon.

Hayes was shot at Mount Vernon Avenue and N. 17th Street on the Near East Side about 11 p.m. by Officer Fredrick Hannah, an officer for nine years who has been involved in two prior shootings. The men he shot in those cases survived, and the Police Division said Hannah, 35, was justified both times.

The allegations raised by Hayes' family were rebutted by the head of the local police union, who said the shooting would not have occurred if Hayes and others in the car weren't carrying illegal guns.

“Our officer has a responsibility to react to a suspect's actions, and he did so,” said Jim Gilbert, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Capital City Lodge No. 9. “The burden is not on us to wait and be fired upon.

Police have released few details of the shooting, saying Hannah and Edward Hayes had a “brief confrontation” and that Hayes “displayed a gun” after running from a car.

A paramedic could be heard saying over Fire Division radios that night that Hayes was shot in the upper back or back of his neck. He died a short time later.

Two other suspects, Lester K. Joseph, 31, and Dwight T. Jackson Jr., 30, were caught and arrested. Joseph, the car's driver and Hayes' cousin, was charged with carrying a concealed weapon and improper transport of a gun. Jackson was charged with carrying a concealed weapon and tampering with evidence. Dwayne Hayes wasn't charged.

Columbus Safety Director Mitchell Brown told City Council members last night that Police Division officials already have begun an investigation of the shooting.

He said he has asked the city's Community Relations Commission to put together a group of residents to “mitigate any overreaction” in the Mount Vernon area.

About 25 people, including Hayes' family, stood at last night's council meeting as Near East Side activist Barry Edney called on the city to suspend Mayor Michael B. Coleman's summer strike-force initiative, which puts extra police in high-crime areas. Hannah was part of that detail when he shot Hayes.

Edney said he witnessed the shooting. He said Hayes was chased by police and shot after pleading for his life.

“We're going to make sure justice is served, even if we have to get the federal government in,” said Edney, who was escorted out of City Hall by two police officers after speaking beyond the council's three-minute limit.

Police said they first approached the parked car in which Hayes was sitting because they suspected a drug deal was occurring, although no drug charges have been filed. Police recovered three guns.

In a brief telephone interview from the Franklin County jail, Joseph said he heard the shots that killed his cousin. He said they ran because they wanted to ditch the guns and avoid arrest, but they wouldn't have shot at the police officers.

“Everything is happening so fast, I'm discombobulated,” he said.

Dwayne Hayes said he saw his brother run past him but didn't realize until later that he had been shot.

Elaine Valentine Hayes said her son had no drugs.

“Say my child had a gun and you're telling the truth, but say my child had drugs and you're lying,” she said.

Louisiana court records show that Jackson and Joseph have prior drug convictions, but Dwayne Hayes insisted the group was only socializing with some young women when police rolled up.

Family members said Edward Hayes was killed on his oldest daughter's 16th birthday. He had been visiting Columbus from New Orleans for a graduation party and a wedding.

“They should have arrested him and let a judge decide,” said his father, Don Hayes Sr., who worked with him in catering at the New Orleans zoo. “This boy was not going to shoot somebody. He was murdered.

“OK, he was wrong for having a gun, but he still was a human,” Valentine Hayes said. “There's a punishment for everything.

But is the punishment death?”

colunbus police are very

colunbus police are very racist. they put these white BOYS in are black neighborhoods and they feel big with a gun on there hip and all they do is hunt down black MEN while the white race runs a muck and there crimes are rarely reported on the news. the way they report us for every little thing on the news you wouldnt beleave white people live in this city or there all little angles. they get away with everything



It's uneducated statements

It's uneducated statements such as yours that only push us back farther! The correct spelling of _OUR neighborhood,THEIR hip,THEIR crimes.The rest speaks for itself so maybe you should redirect your anger to getting an education and be a productive member of OUR community.

By: CajunAngel

Comment viewing options

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.